Over 1,000 Americans Have Been Arrested Protesting Wall Street, While Bankers Have Dodged Major Prosecutions
– NEW YORK CITY: More than 700 protesters were arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge as they began to impede traffic on October 1st. Upwards of 70 people were arrested following the occupation of Times Square this weekend. Additionally, more than two dozen people were arrested while trying to symbolically close their bank accounts at a Citibank branch last week.
– BOSTON: Over a hundred people were arrested as Boston police stormed the Occupy Boston encampment last week. Police threw an American flag to the ground, detained veterans, and destroyed personal property during the arrests. Earlier in the month, two dozen people were arrested while protesting Bank of America’s corporate offices downtown.
– CHICAGO: 175 protesters were arrested over the weekend after refusing orders to vacate Grant Park. “I’d like to ask why (New York Mayor Michael) Bloomberg let the people stay in the park peacefully and clean up their own mess, and Rahm Emanuel won’t let us do the same,” said protester Joseph Eichler, referencing the fact that protesters in New York have been allowed to stay in Zuccotti Park.
– DENVER: Over two dozen protesters were arrested last week in Denver after Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-CO) signed off on a riot police raid on their encampment near the state capitol building.
– LOS ANGELES: Ten protesters were arrested earlier this month after one man tried to cash a $673 billion check at a local Bank of America branch, a protest against the banking industry bailout.
– SEATTLE: Seattle police moved into Occupy Seattle’s encampment this morning, clearing out 150 people and arresting seven. “We all knew it was going to happen. We don’t think it’s legal,” protested Occupy Seattle participant and law student Corey Wlodarczyk.
– WASHINGTON, D.C.: Yesterday, Dr. Cornel West and 19 others were arrested on the steps of the Supreme Court building while protesting against the Citizens United decision.
102 Notes/ Hide
- perpetualjourney reblogged this from spaceataz
- perpetualjourney likes this
- brain-feeder likes this
- staringinawe likes this
- onebricktodayisonelesstomorrow likes this
- kaleidomicroscopic likes this
- polyslime reblogged this from socialismartnature
- lemaejik reblogged this from entropic-existence
- entropic-existence reblogged this from rachel-duncan
- istellar reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- tiny-donut reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- everythingessential likes this
- laudme reblogged this from dipped-in-sauce
- dipped-in-sauce reblogged this from thehuskybro
- thesoapboxschtick likes this
- amourlegirafe reblogged this from occupyjacksonville
- tulumblue likes this
- delishytown likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from mommapolitico
- topherrocks reblogged this from peacepunx
- joswpagan likes this
- nothereanymoar reblogged this from occupyjacksonville
- occupyjacksonville reblogged this from occupyblono
- findinlids reblogged this from global99
- global99 reblogged this from h4x0r3d
- occupyblono reblogged this from occupyphilly and added:
- justanotherwastedyouth reblogged this from peacepunx
- h4x0r3d reblogged this from rachel-duncan
- sothisisanotherblog likes this
- auditoryassault likes this
- waiyanjpn likes this
- mostmodernist reblogged this from guerrillatech
- frozenrevolutionary likes this
- guerrillatech reblogged this from rachel-duncan
- sokittiesaid likes this
- commie-pinko-liberal likes this
- crunchybytes reblogged this from socialistexan
- captainpenelope reblogged this from socialistexan
- mommapolitico reblogged this from socialistexan and added:
- mommapolitico likes this
- kileyrae likes this
- digatisdi reblogged this from socialistexan
- thegrazing reblogged this from rachel-duncan
- ayytacos likes this
- h4x0r3d likes this
- peacepunx reblogged this from rachel-duncan
- ziriamundane reblogged this from doyayoda
- sarahlee310 likes this